Light & Shadow 2023 Art Competition
“Shadow is a color as light is, but less brilliant; light and shadow are only the relation of two tones.” ~Paul Cezanne
Fusion Art invites submissions for the Light & Shadow 2023 art competition for an online exhibition during the month of November 2023.
For this competition, both 2D and 3D artists, worldwide, are invited to submit their best artwork depicting light and shadow. Whether color or black and white, the artwork should focus on the dramatic placement and effects of light and shadow over the canvas or through the lens. The artwork can range from realism to surrealism to abstraction and all artists, regardless of location or experience, are invited to submit their best representational and/or abstract work in any subject matter and any media.
Here is a link to the Light & Shadow 2022 Art Exhibition in order to help artists see what type of art was accepted in the past.
Dates and Deadlines
- Call for Artists Announced: September 1, 2023
- Deadline for Entries: November 1, 2023
- Opening of Online Exhibition: November 5, 2023
- Online Exhibition Closed & Archived: December 4, 2023 (remains on website under “Archived Exhibitions” for 3 years)
- A nonrefundable entry fee of $25 for 1-2 images.
- A nonrefundable entry fee of $40 for up to 5 images (average of $8 per image).
- Artists may enter the competition more than once if they have more than 5 works they want to be considered.
- Artists are encouraged to enter the maximum number of images allowable for the entry fee. All images entered are not guaranteed to be accepted.
- ENTRY FEES ARE NOT REFUNDABLE
- Payment is required at the time of entry. Entry fees are inclusive of New Mexico Gross Receipts Tax (if applicable)
- IMAGE LABELING: Image should be labeled as Title_FirstName_LastName.jpeg. Example: Untitled_John_Smith.jpg.
Acceptable Mediums & Sizes
- “Traditional” is open to the following 2D mediums: painting, drawing, pastels, inks, pencil, printmaking, encaustic, fabric, and mixed media.
- “Photography & Digital” is open to the following mediums: analog photography, digital photography, digital photo artwork, digital painting, digital manipulations, digital collage, photopainting, vector drawing, digital mixed media (integrated art). Digital Art that is a derivative work, created from another original artwork, must be significantly different as to constitute a new original work. The gallery reserves the right to request a copy of the original artwork if copyright infringement is suspected.
- “3-Dimensional” Art is open to the following media: relief, pottery, sculpture, installation, kinetic, and conceptual 3-D artworks created in metal, paper, wood, stone, fiber, plastics, glass, ceramics, or any other material which can be used to create 3-dimensional art. All 3D entries now require front, back and side views to be considered and properly juried. There is no additional fee for these additional images. Please see entry form for instructions.
- There are no size limitations on the artwork.
- Artwork does not have to be for sale to be entered into the competition.
- Cash prizes will be given to the Best in Show winners in each category (Traditional, Digital & Photography and 3-Dimensional (if the gallery receives 3D entries).
- The Best in Show winners will be the “Featured Artists” on the website for the duration of the exhibition. The Best in Show winners will also receive an invitation to participate in Fusion Art’s group show in Santa Fe, NM in 2024.
- 2nd through 5th Place awards in each category will also be given. Depending on the number and quality of all submissions received, Artistic Excellence and/or Honorable Mention awards may also be given.
- All award winning artists will receive a digital award certificate, event announcement and copy of the press release for their art portfolio.
- Video slideshows of the top winning artists will be created and available on the website and Fusion Art’s YouTube channel.
- Fusion Art’s objective is to promote the artists, worldwide, to art professionals, gallerists, collectors and buyers.
- All inquiries from potential buyers who see the artwork on the Fusion Art website will be directed to the artist for negotiation.
Fusion Art utilizes the Submittable platform to receive, process and jury all competition entries.
Submittable is an international platform that is used for administrative processing by over 9000 organizations that specialize in art, photography, publishing, music, film-making, education and grants. It provides artists with a free, secure and easy-to-use system to apply to a wide variety of national (and international) juried art exhibitions 24 hours a day. There is no cost to the artist to register on the site and all payments processed through Submittable are secure. Submittable accepts both credit cards and PayPal.
Please note that Submittable is a 3rd Party Submission Management Platform. Therefore, if you have any issues submitting and/or technical issues with the platform, including password resets, please reach out to Submittable Support directly at firstname.lastname@example.org. Submittable Customer Support hours are Monday-Friday 9am-5pm MT (Mountain Time). Thank you.
Read the full Competition Rules on the submission page. Click the button below to submit: